…..so we thought we’d share our top 10 tips for keeping your home secure…
- Make sure all doors and windows are closed and locked securely when you go out. These are the main entry points for burglars so keeping them secure will make it much harder for them to gain access.
- Avoiding posting on social media about going on holiday. People can use this information to find out when your home will be unoccupied.
- Never leave spare keys outside your home, even if you think they are well hidden. Always leave them with a trusted neighbour, relative or friend.
- Draw your curtains at night – you never know who might be looking in to see what valuables you have.
- Keep expensive items out of sight. Position TVs where they are not visible to passers by, and don’t leave mobile phones, laptops etc near windows where they can be seen.
- Consider using timers on your lights if you’re away for extended periods. Lights turning on and off give the impression that someone is home.
- Visible burglar alarms and good security lights are very useful for deterring would-be thieves. Dummy alarm systems may seem more economical, but experienced burglars will know the difference between a high-quality alarm system and a fake.
- Prevent easy access to the back and sides of your property by installing locked gates and, if possible, high fencing or walls.
- Keep tools and ladders securely locked away – these can be used to gain entry to your home.
- Sign up to your local Neighbourhood Watch. You can find your local scheme at the following link: https://www.ourwatch.org.uk/get-involved/find-my-local-scheme
If you would like to discuss your home security in more detail, contact us today:
📞 01285 651 025